YouTube has undeniably become one of the leading platforms for content. From the podcaster to the expert voices in the games industry, if you’re serious about production, you have a presence there.
Finding the best microphone to make you sound crystal clear has never been simpler. With the industry bodies making stellar microphones that can stand up to professional level studio quality, there’s a lot to like.
XLR, Lavalier, and USB microphones all have a place – but which should you invest in? Here’s our rundown of the top 6 best microphones for Youtube in 2020:
The Top Rated Mics for YouTube Videos
The Best All Round Microphones for YouTubers: Reviews
Rode NT-USB Versatile
It is hard to fault the Rode NT-USB. Intuitive mixing and producing crisp, clear sound make the professionals want to cash in too. The Rode NT-USB will accentuate your voice and has incredible low noise capabilities.
The long lead makes set-up incredibly adaptable to your recording space. Matched with the added pop-shield and tripod stand, you get a lot for your money. Made from a solid metal construction, the Rode NT-USB is built to last and will handle the odd impact and scrape.
For its price, the Rode NT-USB has gone above and beyond to bring you the finest quality USB mic.
- Highly versatile: The Rode NT-USB will record any kind of vocals and work with all mainstream recording applications
- Convenient: The USB connection allows you to plug and play
- Zero-latency monitoring: Built-in 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Direct mix control: Mic input and source output speak to each other for high-quality sound
- Great accessories included: Pop shield, tripod desk stand, ring mount, storage pouch and 6m USB cable
- Incredibly sensitive: As a condenser mic, the Rode NT-USB will pick up sounds you will struggle to hear in the room
SUDOTACK professional 192KHZ/24Bit
If you want a professional sound and you’re on a budget, the Sudotack Professional Microphone is the one for you. With its easy set-up and plug and play USB feature, you can be recording within minutes.
Perhaps better for users who want an entryway microphone, the Sudotack will give you a good quality sound for most of your YouTube needs. Where it fails, is the manufacturer’s lack of instruction to gauge frequencies. Other than that, the Sudotack is an excellent condenser mic and will not break the bank!
- Excellent sound quality: Crystal clear recordings with the 24bit/192kHz bit sample and wide frequency response 30hz to 16kHz
- Minimal background noise: The cardioid pickup pattern captures accurate and pristine sound
- Simple set-up: USB plug and play connectivity. Desktop recording is made simple with no extra drivers needed
- Compatible: The Sudotack professional microphone is compatible with most mainstream operating systems
- Accessories: Shock mount, anti-wind foam cup, stand, USB A to B cable and pop filter to reduce unwanted sounds and plosives
- Minimal versatility: The Sudotack professional microphone is not compatible with XBOX or Android mobile phones. You will need an Apple Original OTG Adapter to connect your iPhone
- Incredibly sensitive: You will pick up background noise on your recording that you will not hear with your own ears!
There is so much to like with the Audio Technica AT2020USB+. Not only is it a cardioid condenser microphone, but it is also great for those that want to upgrade from a USB to an XLR setup. You will capture crisp, clear recordings with the innovative large-diaphragm design. With the included shock mount, you are getting your money’s worth too!
Great for capturing live performances, streaming and podcasting, the AT2020USB+ is a versatile piece of kit. With its mid-range price, it is one of the most affordable and professional sounding microphones on the market.
- Performance-minded: Designed for live performance streaming, podcasting and professional studio applications
- High-quality sound: Cardioid polar pattern isolates desired sounds and minimises background noise for a crystal, clear recording
- Large-diaphragm: Picks up low noise for a smooth and natural sound
- Excellent versatility: Features high SPL handling and wide dynamic range
- Superior isolation: Custom shock mount included
- Incredibly sensitive: You will pick up sounds unhearable by the human ear in your recordings!
Rode SmartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
The Rode SmartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone packs a punch. For those that like a discrete mic that offers broadcasting quality, this is definitely the one for you. Perfect for recording voiceovers, podcasts and live streaming, the SmartLav+ can simply plug-in to your phone, tablet or notebook.
Some users have struggled with the Rode App, which has undoubtedly had an impact on their experience. Overall, the SmartLav+ is excellent for those on the go that want to get the most out of their recordings. The SmartLav+ is a worthy investment for those beyond the novice stage.
- Broadcast quality: Professional-grade Lavalier Mic with TRRS Jack for optimal recording quality
- High-quality sound: The Rode SmartLav+ features an omnidirectional condenser capsule to capture the desired sound
- Discrete: Features a discrete 4.5mm miniature microphone for on-the-fly recording
- Industry-standard design: You won’t be able to stretch or snap the Kevlar reinforced cable
- Compatible: Works with most mainstream software and applications that will accept a ⅛” input including your mobile device
- Additional costs: You will need to purchase the Rode App before use
- Time: You will need to take your time with the set-up to get the best results
Rode VideoMic Pro+
Perfect for the “run-and-gun” shooter, the Rode VideoMic Pro+ is an incredible piece of kit. It features excellent digital controls that capture the audio signal at its source well. Your time in post-production is limited as a result.
With its removable cable, rechargeable battery and included Rycote Lyre suspension system, this is a standout, professional-quality microphone. If you are an active YouTuber who likes to go out in the field with your DSLR or camcorder, this is the one for you. With its mid-range price, it’s an investment worth considering.
- Professional quality: Leading the pack, the VideoMic Pro+ houses the best-in-class Rycote Lyre suspension system
- Ultimate capture: Digital switching ensures that you capture the audio signal at the source – reducing post-production and editing time
- Flexible: Features an automatic power function as well as a plug-in power option. The mic will turn off when unplugged from the camera – perfect for the “run-and-gun” shooter
- Easy battery replacement: Features a built-in battery door or use the Micro USB
- Jack location: Due to its placement, the plug will stick out towards your face while recording
Engineered for those that take their recording seriously, the Audio-Technica AT4053B Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone is a cut above the rest. Sharp, clear and responsive, this microphone handles dialogue, vocals and music impressively.
Featuring a 10db pad to give you optimal control over your recordings, the AT4053B is a well-thought-out product. Lightweight and adaptable, this mic is great for interviewing, podcasting, streaming and in the studio. With its hypercardioid (see what is a hypercardioid mic) polar pickup patterns, unwanted clipping and background noises are a thing of the past.
You will struggle to find a mic of this quality anywhere else for its high-end price range
- Superior design: With professional recording, broadcasting and sound reinforcement at the forefront, the AT4053B meets the most critical acoustic requirements
- Minimal background noise: Features a hyper-cardioid polar pickup pattern – improves sound isolation
- Clean signal: Innovative direct-coupled, balanced output
- Expensive: High-range price
FAQs for finding the best microphone for YouTube
What microphones do YouTubers use?
Do I need a microphone to make YouTube videos?
If you want to build a large audience on YouTube, your audio quality must be as good as your videos. People listen to the videos and watch them, and in some cases (like streaming and reviews), they listen more than watch!
Therefore, for a strong audience subscribing to your YouTube channel, you have to have crystal clear audio clarity, which no built-in laptop mic will be able to give you.
The answer to this question depends on what you want to use the mic for. You can buy a decent quality mic such as SUDOTACK professional 192KHZ/24Bit for under $50 if all you need is voice clarity and basic controls.
If you want to record a podcast or run a live streaming channel, you should look at something like Audio-Technica AT4053B, which goes upwards of $500.
So the budget will depend on how much voice clarity and modulation you need from the mic.
Are condenser mics good for youtube?
If there is a lot of echo in your indoors YouTube video setup, you should preferably choose a condenser mic with a small diaphragm. It can be in either a super-cardioid format or a hyper-cardioid one. Both are good for YouTube videos made indoors.
What is a good starter microphone?
The SUDOTACK professional is a great starter mic for YouTubers. It is inexpensive and provides a great frequency response. It comes in a cardioid pattern, and you also get all the equipment needed to set it up at your desk, including a stand, a table clamp, and an anti-wind foam cap.
What mic does POKI use?
Pokimane prefers the Electro-Voice RE-20.
What microphones are best for singing on YouTube?
Producing content for YouTube from the novice singer to the professional recording artist needs good quality equipment. A condenser mic will allow you to record the best quality sound at a price. Fortunately, with a wide variety of USB microphones on offer, you can record crisp, clear vocals at a fraction of the cost.
If you use are recording from your computer, most USB microphones simply plugin and you’re ready to go. At the end of the day, it all comes down to your budget and what level of sound you want to produce in your videos.
What to look out for when buying a microphone for YouTube?
First off, what is the type or style of video you want to make? If you are looking at producing voice-overs or live streaming, you may want to consider a voice-over or live-streaming mic (USB or XLR studio mic).
If you are out and about or want a discrete mic set-up, you may want to consider a Lavalier microphone. Simply clip the mic onto your top and hit record. If you are more of a vlogger, run-and-gun shooter or prefer the sit-down interview style, you may prefer a shotgun mic.
Can I just use my camera or laptop mic for YouTube?
In all honesty, it depends on the sound quality you want to produce. After all, it’s your content!
If your aim is to stand out in the YouTube community, you will want to invest in a quality microphone.
Don’t worry though – you don’t have to break the bank to get the best sound! With that in mind, if you’re just starting out, get to know the process of broadcasting & building a Youtube channel. How does YouTube function? What are other people using?
Best Studio Mics was started by a husband and wife team who love the sound and the technicals behind recording it. Both are professional theatre artists, one with a stage management background and one more on stage. One also has experience in film and television work and the different audio requirements of that arena.