Those people who not only need to purchase external microphones for various uses but also do not want to invest in a huge condenser microphone package. Almost always settle for USB studio microphones.
The problem with that is the term used, is “settle.” The word “settle” has a negative connotation. It might mean that you just use the product because it works, but there is something out there that is better. This mindset should be changed.
Yes, there are a handful of USB microphones out there that are below par. But when you get into the good quality and high-end ones, you would never think negatively about USB microphones again.
Some of the people who do professional music and videos use a good kind of USB microphone instead of a full-on condenser microphone as it very travels friendly and efficient, but still – you get excellent quality.
In this article, we are going to review one of the high-end USB microphones, which is the Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone. Would it be a good buy? Or is it just the same as those products you just want to “settle on?” Find out below!
- Diaphragm condenser: Large (25mm) Designed for recording that would produce a rich audio
- Pickup patter: Cardioid
- Smooth and 20Hz-20kHz for the flat response frequency
- 16-bit resolution
- Easy to position due to design that has a fold-back leg
- It comes with a USB cable
- It also has a storage bag
- Latency monitoring is easy as it has a 1/8 headphone output
- The volume knob that is on the headphone also give you control
- The microphone has mute switch
- Can also be mounted on a desktop stand or a boom since it has an integrated mic stand adapter located at the bottom part
- It does not need any other drivers. Once you plug it, you can record right off the bat
- The pattern pickup, which is cardioid, records clear vocals and can be used to “close mic” an amplifier connected to an instrument or just an instrument alone.
- Does not require a separate USB hub. It plugs straight into a connector of another device.
- It is compact and can be taken anywhere.
- It is easy to set up as it does not require any other drivers.
- The mic is extremely sensitive. It would pick up any sound.
- The ability to plug your headphones into the back of the microphone and listen to yourself while recording it is a good feature.
- It is not complicated to use. Anyone can use it. May it be someone professional or a newbie.
- Perfect microphone to use for live chats, streaming, and voice-overs.
- The design can prove to be troublesome. It is not that durable as it claims to be.
- The high sensitivity of the mic makes it so that it picks up every sound.
- It does not have a good noise cancellation feature.
- Although it is effortless to travel with, it defeats the purpose of recording in a public place as it can capture all the sounds that are present.
Summary of Features:
They brand the Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone as the “global solution for record-keeping audio on any computer.” It is designed to be an instrument of your dream home studio.
With this product, you can create projects that are of studio quality as it produces rich audio that works well with other applications.
The mic that it has is actually one of the biggest diaphragm condensers that are available in the market. The response frequency which is smooth and perfect pattern pickup that is cardioid give you the professional sounding output that you attain for.
Compared with the Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone, the Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone is a sure winner. Not just for its good sound quality, but for its design.
A lot of users who used the Snowball USB microphone in the past had significantly noticed the better performance of the Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone.
However, if the Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone is compared with the Rode NT-USB USB Condenser Microphone. The latter would prevail as it provides for a crisper audio recording.
The former is still not that “studio quality ready” on its own. But definitely, it could still put up a good fight.
The Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Microphone is perfect for people who do podcasts, game streams, voiceovers, and music covers. It is up there with the condenser microphone giants.
It provides good quality recording, but at the same time, user-friendly due to it being a USB cabled equipment.
It boasts of its professional looking exterior and design. But at the same time, it is its downfall. As it was proven to be not that durable and flimsy.
So if ever you own this microphone, do be careful with it. Do not adjust it too much as you might find yourself with a broken microphone.
The purpose of buying a USB based microphone is that you can take it anywhere and use it practically everywhere. However, this is where the mismatch with this product occurs. You can still take this product anywhere and plug it into any device. You can also use it anywhere you like. But you would notice that the quality would suffer immensely.
As this product has a very sensitive microphone and a not so good noise cancellation feature. It could pick up any other sound besides your voice or instrument.
I could go as far as to say that the noise cancellation feature of this product is non-existent.
So you cannot record in a public place. At the same time, it also picks up the sounds and vibrations that are happening on your desk if that is where you decide to put it. Let us say you are in a live game stream.
Of course, you would use your keyboard to play right? The microphone could detect that typing sound and even the click of your mouse.
So even at the comfort of your own home, you should also ensure that you are recording in a quiet place. This problem defeats the purpose of usability as you have to make a conscious effort to be in a quiet place so that you can adjust to the needs of your microphone.
This should not be the case. The microphone should be able to adjust to the environment of the user.
Overall it is a good USB microphone for what it is worth because at the end of the day it is the sound quality that we are after. But maybe the balance of quality and convenience was thrown into the trash when the manufacturers made the microphone so sensitive that it can even hear ghosts that are passing by.
This microphone is perfect for those who have a home office that is away from any noise. It could also be used by frequent travelers who have a quiet place to stay for them to be able to record.
There is a bit of sacrifice to be done for this microphone to work correctly. But you be the judge if those sacrifices on your part are worth it.