Lavalier microphones are one of the staples of the presentation world. Whether you’re using them to conduct interviews, record presentations, or take up podcasting.
Whatever your creative project is, with these wired and wireless microphones you’re sure to be making quality content in no time at all.
Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel
PowerDeWise has created a very useful lavalier microphone, with a wide range of compatibility and ease of use. This is a fantastic choice for beginners, as it allows a lot of experimentation in several different scenarios.
This lavalier microphone is relatively inexpensive, so you can pick one of these up at no great cost. Since it records voices so well, it’s very useful to use for solo-podcasting or recording a YouTube video.
The mic is let down by its inability to allow real-time playback. It’s also impossible to use this mic to have conversations since it cuts off your speakers – preventing you from hearing anything on the other end.
Another drawback is that you’ll need an official adapter. There is a solution to this since PowerDeWise also produces alternative versions with specific connectors.
Overall though, this is a great little starter lavalier microphone with loads of functionality. If you’re looking for the best all-rounder, then this is it.
- No battery needed: This product doesn’t come with a plug, which means you can just connect and go
- Great quality audio: Microphone is capable of easily picking up voices extremely clearly
- Budget-friendly: Compared to other quality mics, this will not break the bank
- Widely compatible: Whether it’s connected to your phone, camera, or computer this mic doesn’t need any additional drivers installed.
- Third-party adapters don’t work: If you can’t use a headphone jack, then you’re going to need an official adapter to make it work properly.
Can’t listen in real-time: There’s no way to connect a headset so you can’t hear yourself (or any errors) until you play it back
Wired Lavalier Lapel
With over 1,900 positive reviews on Amazon, this can be a very good microphone to purchase. When it works, the Ultimate Lavalier Microphone works very well – but like all inexpensive microphones working properly isn’t guaranteed.
If you need to record multiple people or things simultaneously, you can buy several of these for the same price as a single higher value microphone. They are also extremely easy to replace should they break or fail due to wear.
- Value for money: This microphone is extremely good value for money. Perfect if you need to buy multiple microphones for a project
- Produces a good quality sound: Compared to your phone’s microphone sound, this is substantially better, producing clear and crisp recordings
- Compact and lightweight: Easy to carry around with you, so you’re always ready to record at a moment’s notice
- It is fragile: Inexpensive materials were used to produce this microphone, and as such, it can break easily if not looked after
May not work properly with your device: This Lavalier microphone lacks compatibility, so you may find trouble getting it to work properly with the device you choose to use
Wireless Headset Lavalier
Bietrun’s Wireless microphone works very well. It’s a good mid-range product that comes with several useful attachments such as converters and additional microphones.
Mainly designed for creating virtual classes, this microphone is good at staying secure if you are being highly active, however, the connection can drop in and out if you move around a large area.
Unfortunately, the wires are a little short and don’t provide any slack, meaning it can be difficult to wear – but this is still a very useful microphone and is similar in quality to several more expensive alternatives.
- Comes with a headset system: Gives you the option to wear the microphone clipped to your lapel or wrapped around your face for more physical recordings
- Offers approx. 6 hours: On a single charge, the UHF Wireless can last for about 6 hours before needing to be recharged
- Easy to Use: Simply turn on the transmitter and receiver, and connect the receiver to your phone to begin
- 1 Year Warranty: Purchase of this product comes with a one year warranty
- Wires aren’t great: The connecting wires can be short and end up breaking if pulled or jolted around frequently
- No carry case: Unlike other lavalier microphones, Bietrun doesn’t offer any sort of protective case with this
Purple Panda Lavalier Lapel
This lavalier mic by Purple Panda is directed specifically at vloggers, YouTubers, and Amateur Filmmakers. It is a well-produced microphone and records good quality audio.
There can be some issues with buzzing, and while this may be caused by your phone’s NFC setting, the buzz can also be removed during editing.
The Purple Panda also comes with a handy drawstring pouch to keep all the parts of your microphone safe and secure. The customer service is also extremely helpful and willing to help you solve any issues you may encounter.
- Comes with two windscreens: To prevent any wind or breathing sounds, the Purple Panda Lavalier comes with an additional fuzzy windscreen designed to be attached over the first
- Durable and lightweight: This microphone is easy to attach and easy to wear,
- Typically Records a Clear Audio: Records a good quality and clear audio, unless not connected properly or other set-up issues
- Don’t necessarily need to purchase additional adapters: Purchase comes with a Micro-USB adapter as standard, which is useful in connecting to several different cameras and phones.
- Long Cables: The microphone itself has a 4.9ft cable, accompanied by a 9.8ft extension cable should you need it
- Not Universally Compatible: It doesn’t work with some models of camcorders, GoPro’s or some Nexus phones
- Can record a buzzing: Some customers have said that they can hear a buzzing in playback. According to Purple Panda, this is potentially caused by having the NFC setting switched on
Pixel Wireless Lavalier
This is a fantastic microphone. It comes packed with useful features and increased functionality. It also has a Type-C which allows the battery to be charged quickly.
The only drawback with this microphone is the hefty price tag. If you were intending to purchase this for hobby use or to get started with filming and recording, you may want to look elsewhere. If you’re planning to upgrade, however, and you have the budget, this could be the perfect mic for you.
- Camera Attachments: The Pixel Wireless comes with a “cold boot” adapter that allows the receiver to easily attach and connect to your camera
- Wide Range of Channels: This Lavalier microphone has 36 easily adjustable channels to ensure you can always record, regardless of any signal interference
- Low Cut Filtering: This professional mic comes equipped with a Low Cut Filtering, which removes any Low-Frequency noises in order to clean up the audio
- Very Expensive: The most expensive mic on our list, the Pixel Wireless Lavalier Microphone is far more costly when compared to other mics
Lavalier Lapel Lightning
This is a specialised microphone designed purely for iPhones and iPads. It’s new, which means it’ll carry on working with newer iPhones for a while yet, and boasts of impressive features such as High-Density Wind Muffs, Portability, and a 118” cable.
Of course, if you require versatility then this is not a good option, there’s no real way to adapt it to work with other devices. If you’re simply planning to just record on your iPhone though, then this is exactly what you’re looking for.
A good product for a good price, and one I would highly recommend.
- Designed for iOS: Whereas other microphones need additional adapters to be used with newer iPhones, you won’t need to worry about that with this lavalier microphone
- No Drivers or Apps: You can plug this into your phone straight out of the box and you’re ready to go
- 18 Month Warranty: Bietrun have included an 18-month warranty with this product, meaning more time to sort issues out if something does go wrong
- New Product: With this lavalier, you don’t need to worry about having an older phone to make sure it all works properly
- Cost-Effective: This is a very cost effect microphone from Bietrun boasting great quality and noise cancellation
- Won’t work with anything else: While this microphone is designed to work brilliantly with iPhones, it won’t work with any other type of recording device, lacking the flexibility of other mics on this list
FAQs For Finding the Best Lavalier Microphone
What microphones are best for presenting?
If you’re working with a DSLR and your presenter is moving around a space, it is probably best to go for a wireless microphone. This way you will still get clear audio, without unsightly wires getting into frame or tying the presenter and camera together.
Can’t I just use my phone?
Yes, of course you can. Just be aware that phone microphones are not designed for high-quality audio. Audio can be unassuming, but the quality of your audio can make or break the success of your project.
What should I get?
The answer to that is whatever you need the most. If you’re a first-time buyer, there’s no reason to fork out for an expensive mic when you can easily pick up a good one for a budget-friendly price. If you’ve been recording for a while, then maybe you’re after a better quality microphone to help step up your production. Take some time to think about what you need, and then go from there.
What is a wireless lavalier microphone?
Lavalier mics go by many names, such as lapel mics, clip mic, body mic, or lav mics. The main advantage of these mics is that they are so small that you can wear them on your body. In addition, Lav mics can be both wired or wireless. The wireless ones have a separate transmitter pack that you can clip onto your belt or pocket, with the mic being closer to the mouth.
Lav mics work on radio frequencies, using these waves to transmit the feed from the receiver to a sound mixer, which you can use to adjust volume and other parameters.
What is the best lapel mic to buy?
While there are many lapel mics in the industry, the best ones based on our analysis, research, and online reviews are these:
1. PowerDeWise Lapel Mic
2. Miracle Sound Wired Lapel Mic
3. Bietrun Wireless Lav Mic
4. Purple Panda Lavalier Lapel
5. Pixel Wireless Lavalier
6. Lavalier Lapel Lightning
How do you use a wireless lavalier microphone?
When using a lavalier mic, there are two things that you need to think of:
How to position it: Since it’s a smaller mic, you must keep it as close as possible to the speaker’s mouth. A rule of thumb suggests you should put your mic on the chest, about 8-12 inches away from the mouth.
How to connect it to the user: There are three main ways, straps, clips, and adhesive. Each can be equally strong but do note that clips tend to slip down.
Is there a Bluetooth lavalier microphone?
Yes, there are Bluetooth-enabled lavalier mics such as Lewinner Wireless Lavalier Microphone Bluetooth, SabineTek SmartMike+ Wireless Lavalier Microphone, and others.
Can a wireless mic work with any receiver?
Sadly no, wireless mics are not as adaptable. Most of them use frequencies that are incompatible with normal receivers, and some also use encryption. You can generally get a good receiver from the company that manufactured your mic.
When would you use a lavalier microphone?
The most popular use is for recording dialogue in the TV and news industry. Lav mics are small, cannot be easily seen, and can be placed close to the mouth to get the best sound output.
Best Studio Mics was started by a husband and wife team who love the sound and the technicals behind recording it. Both are professional theatre artists, one with a stage management background and one more on stage. One also has experience in film and television work and the different audio requirements of that arena.